Monday, May 2, 2011

If you know me and my world view this post will come as no surprise.

I am disheartened by the celebrations in the streets over the death of bin Laden. I didn't say that I am sad that he is no longer a threat just that we are celebrating it. There are a couple of reasons I feel this way.

First and foremost I am a Christian. I don't read anywhere in the Bible that God rejoices when a sinner dies without redemption. In fact, His heart grieves at His creation's willful disregard for His precepts. God asks us to pray for all His people:

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." Matthew 5:44-45

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and
thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that
we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is
good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved (italics mine) and to come to a knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:1-4

And,

"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn His wrath from him." Proverbs 24:17-18

Second, as I responded in a post on Facebook, "I am saddened by the fact that we (U.S.) do not distinguish ourselves as more moral and realize that we have spent years and been a part of the deaths of innocents as well as those who are culpable. It is a victory but what a price we have all paid."

4 comments:

  1. Well written and so true. We have become an embarrassment by our own standards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know me and my worldview this response will come as no surprise.

    I, too, am disheartened by the celebrations in the streets over the death of bin Laden. Now will I say that I'm sad he's no longer a threat—in fact, I'm glad to see him gone; he was a maniac. It's just unfortunate that we're celebrating death. Perhaps it's inevitable, but unfortunate. There are a couple of reasons I feel this way.

    First and foremost is that he was a human being. I may not be sorry that he's gone, but I'm not going to celebrate it. Anyone's death ought to be treated with some respect. I was repulsed by the celebrations we saw on 9/11 in, say, the West Bank, what with Palestinians cheering and all over Al Qaeda's "success"--and our dead. I will not do the same, even for bin Laden.

    I won’t quote the Bible, as you did, although I’ll concede that there are some good things in the Bible. (And plenty of not-so-good stuff. Psalm 137, anyone?

    7 Remember, LORD, what the Edomites did
    on the day Jerusalem fell.
    “Tear it down,” they cried,
    “tear it down to its foundations!”
    8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
    happy is the one who repays you
    according to what you have done to us.
    9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
    and dashes them against the rocks.

    Ouch. [And oops, I just quoted, as I said I wouldn’t do.] But anyway, there are plenty of "holy" books in the world--bin Laden was quite fond of one--and what but the accident of an individual's birth and subsequent socialization elevates one holy book to "Truth" for her over any other holy book? [The correct answer: Nothing.]) But I'll shut up and agree with the general sentiment of your quotes.

    But it's your last paragraph with which I’ll definitely concur: "I am saddened by the fact that we (U.S.) do not distinguish ourselves as more moral and realize that we have spent years and been a part of the deaths of innocents as well as those who are culpable. It is a victory but what a price we have all paid."

    Amen to that, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola - you have said what has been in my thoughts much of today. I've listened to a number of interviews on the radio today with family members that lost loved ones in 9/11 and even the attacks before that. None of them were celebrating. Some expressed a certain sense of relief that he couldn't continue hurting others, but none of them were celebrating. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have you read this - one of our church's youth kids posted this today - http://www.redletterchristians.org/whose-death-does-god-cheer/

    ReplyDelete