Monday, May 9, 2011

I finally caved this evening and turned my air conditioning on. It was 80 degrees in the house and since I am pretty miserable too much over 75 if it's muggy I decided it was time.

While I am looking forward to being able to sleep tonight I also can't help but hear cha-ching noises every time the air kicks on. Especially since our utility company was just given permission to raise our rates $10-12 per month.

I used to be able to fill up my car for $10; now it's nearly $40. The same groceries that cost $100 are now over $150. I could add to the list but I am sure you all know what I am talking about. Don't expect me to help stimulate the economy. I am one of the ones who really can't go out and spend us out of trouble. I can only buckle down and hold on.

It may sound like I am complaining and indeed I am, but I am grateful to have a job that hasn't been cut and a wage that hasn't gone up but also hasn't been reduced. I am grateful that somehow I can afford to put myself through grad school and most of the bills still get paid every month. I am grateful that the car keeps running and the house is holding up. My needs are met, everything else is as they say, gravy. And gravy can be eliminated so I still have wiggle room.

I have decided to focus on the bright side. Life's too short to be miserable.

2 comments: