Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nuclear power - an idea whose time has come?

Haven't we had this conversation?

I remember visiting the first nuclear power plant in Ohio when I was a kid. They were giving tours to show how safe it was and what a good neighbor the plant was going to be. All in all they were a good neighbor. No meltdowns, cracks or leaks that I know of. But that was in the 70s.

Now these aging plants are leaking radiation into the ground water surrounding them. Sure trinium has only been found on plant grounds but isn't it just a matter of time before it manages to , I don't know, seep further? (by the way, I have no idea if the plant in Ohio is leaking, I heard on the news that others are and I can't remember where)

Before we build more nuclear plants shouldn't we consider fixing the old ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment