Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Oktoberfest in Seymour

So apparently Oktoberfest in Seymour is a pretty big deal. People have been talking it up since I moved here over 6 months ago. But I came from Evansville with it's Fall Festival, and every fried food you could want and many you really don't want at all - edible bugs. I wasn't expecting much really. So imagine my surprise when at the beginning of the week the roads started being blocked off. LOTS of them. I live about 3 blocks from work and was nearly late trying to find a route that would go through because there was a man - in actual lederhosen - up on a ladder changing the street signs.


The event officially starts on Thursday morning with several of the vendors serving breakfast type items - if you consider sticky buns and kuchen breakfast items...I do. Our library board has decided to close the library at non on Thursday, and all day on Friday and Saturday. Staff is required to work 4 hours both days in order to receive 4 hours holiday pay. How wonderful is that?! So we all headed up the street at noon to indulge. Many people commented, "here come the librarians." I wondered if we all looked typical or something but then I remembered, small town, everybody knows everybody, where they work and live and what they had for dinner last night. (It's not that bad)

One of our group had a detailed plan of attack, a list of foods and the booths in which they could be found. It was funny until I tried her first item then I thought she was pretty smart. My favorite purchase was the Pierogi, potato and cheese filled yumminess, sautéed with onions and dill. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about them.

Christina Hime, john Downey, Sara Brockman, Jill Willey, Me, Sheila McDonough
What made Oktoberfest so much more than just an orgy of food were the arts and craft booths, the spoon man, the hurdy gurdy, the cake walk, and the flea market at the Methodist Church. It was like all of my favorite activities rolled into one! Oh and there are rides for those so inclined. I had a great time, my feet were killing me and it was hotter than blue blazes that afternoon but I will go back next year, OF COURSE! Sorry Evansville and the West Side Nut Club but this transplant enjoyed Oktoberfest more than I ever did the Fall Festival.



Now I REALLY can't move back to Evansville...








No comments:

Post a Comment