Monday, September 8, 2014

A Life Well-Lived - Jan Steinmark

Very shortly after starting work at McCollough Branch Library in Evansville, IN, I received an e-mail from a woman at East Branch named Jan Steinmark. She ended it by telling me how wonderful her PT Cruiser was. Huh... Seemeed a bit quirky but whatever. A few weeks later I received another e-mail, and another and another all extoling the virtues of her purple PT Cruiser. Ugh! I thought. Enough already, we get it, you love your car, it reminds you of the past, get over it and move on!"

Years later I was moved to Central Library and had the honor of being paired up with Jan Steinmark to work on Saturdays. Just the two of us. My first thought? Does she still have that dang car? 

What I learned, when I finally took the time and effort to get to know Jan was that the P T Cruiser obsession didn't mean Jan was stuck in the past. It meant that she loved to know about who she was, who her family was, where she and others came from. She was infinitely curious about others and their lives. She loved teaching people! She was passionate about helping others and wanted to see them succeed in whatever endeavors they chose. 

When Jan found a project, she often turned it into a mission. She liked to knit so she started making hats and scarves for cancer patients and bears for babies. She made a cat toy for her babies that they seemed to like so she made enough for the whole children's department at the library to try them out. The same with bookmarks and jewelry.

On our Saturdays together Jan very politely listened to me read children's books out-loud, oohing and ahhing in the appropriate places. She joined me in loving the simple joys and deep lessons that can be found in children's literature. 

One Saturday I read a book called Subway Story by Julia Sarcone-Roach about a beloved subway car that eventually became old and found itself in a junkyard, sad and alone. Then one glorious day the subway was taken and put into the ocean to become a part of a coral reef and it wasn't long before the subway car was once again loved and full of friends. Jan shared with me that she wanted to be cremated after she died and her ashes added to a coral reef off of Florida. This way she said she would always be a part of making the world a better place.

That was Jan, stubborn, yes, driven, to a fault, a lover of all things kitsch, and also one of the most caring people I have had the privilege to know. 

Rest well my friend. 

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute! She will definitely be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I wish I had known her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. So many of us were lucky to have her in our lives. Thanks, Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lola, That was awesome. Jan was quite a character from her love of Carnegie libraries - BTW, Indiana has more Carnegie libraries than any other state (per Jan) to her fascination with pack horse librarians, she was always looking for more information. When the author, Vicki Cobb, came to visit us, it was Jan who planned the sightseeing trip to Louisville and made a book of information to read along the way. I will miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lola - you don't know me but I was a friend of Jan's...I can't find any details of when she actually passed. I loved her dearly. Please tell me anything you can.
    Lita Tikal
    litatikal@wowway.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have very little information because I don't live in Evansville any longer but I believe she passed Sunday evening or night. I learned of it on Monday afternoon. Sorry I can't be of more help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lola, I am the wife of one of Jan's first cousins (in Indianapolis). I found this while searching Google to see if there was an obituary for her. This is beautiful, thanks for sharing it. I will make sure the rest of the family sees it. And to answer the question, she passed away Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan had a wonderful infectious personality and always a sweet smile on her face. Such a loss for us but Heaven now has one very special angel! RIP Jan, you'll be missed by so many!!!

    ReplyDelete