Thursday, August 23, 2012

Useless Knowledge...

So why do I have all this useless knowledge? It was a 3 word gift to me from my parents and not the ones you are probably thinking. My words were, "Look it up." I always wanted to retort, " Just tell me the dang answer!" But the other day Mom and I were talking...


Me: That's the fourth dead skunk I've seen today!

Mom: Okay... 

Me: That one didn't even smell.

Mom: Maybe it used up all of it's smell before it got hit.

Me: Maybe... Do they run out?

Mom: Well that one did.

Me: I should look it up.


From http://www.exotic-mammals.com/html/spraying.htm (site built by longtime skunk keepers in the UK) I learned that Skunks have 2 scent glands that each contain 10-15 ml of sticky, stinky fluid. Since they have weak eyesight skunks can spray a mist or a cloud of stink if they can't see what is frightening them but if they can see skunks are super accurate often spraying a jet of fluid directly into the eyes of an attacker from about 6-9 ft away. This can cause temporary blindness and the smell can cause vomiting.

They have about 7-10 shots before they empty their scent glands. Most predators don't stick around that long. Once they run out they need anywhere from 7-10 days to refill.

So indeed, the last skunk we saw smashed on the road that day may have emptied its scent glands into numerous predators before the final insult - getting smooshed by a car. Talk about a bad day.

And since my parents gave me this wonderful gift, I get to share it with you.

Don't you feel smarter already?

No comments:

Post a Comment