Monday, March 14, 2011

It's been awhile. Did I lose the three readers I had?

Growing up I was a pretty picky eater. I liked the basics but if it wasn't something you see all the time I wasn't eating it. I remember one burger incident where the meat came with the grill lines on it. You know the ones that give it that great charred flavor. Well when I was little I wasn't having anything to do with it and I refused to eat.

Nowadays I am a much more varied eater and in fact have eaten some pretty strange things on my travels. I had cow's tongue in Ukraine, raw egg in Tunisia, and Ackee and saltfish in Jamaica. Not saying I loved them. But drawing a line I always say I will never eat anything that looks at me from the plate. Whole lobster, crawfish, etc.

Imagine my surprise when I ordered Tilapia at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, a dish I had eaten there before and it came with head and tail attached.



It didn't have eyeballs the last time I ate it! Taking a cue from my travels I refused to act like an ugly American and I dug in, literally, but not until I covered it's eyes with a napkin. They were staring at me!

2 comments:

  1. Never knew that you were a picky eater. Glad you've, uh, outgrown it, if you'll permit me to say it. Picky eaters have no sense of adventure!

    I certainly hope that's a margarita on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was and it was yummy too. Made the squishy eyeballs easier to handle. They were quishy too, I checked.

    ReplyDelete